Grosvenor Hill, London
Head Technician & Facilities Manager
Gagosian seeks an experienced Head Technician and Facilities Manager to oversee art handling and building maintenance across three London gallery locations.
The Head Technician and Facilities Manager will develop and lead a team of technicians to coordinate all day-to-day art handling and exhibition programme requirements. The candidate will work closely with the Registrar team, the Exhibitions Manager and the Operations Director.
This role requires a detail-orientated, highly organized individual who has the ability to multitask under pressure. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to lead a team is a must. The role requires flexibility in a fast paced, client-focused environment, delivering projects to tight deadlines.
The candidate must have extensive experience of art handling and working in a gallery environment installing, handling and packing a wide range of artworks.
Duties include but are not limited to
– Responsibility for all art handling in London. Overseeing the tasks and daily activities of the Art Handling team, the day-to-day movements of works for the private viewing rooms, exhibition show changes, art fairs and client installations.
– Liaising with the Exhibitions Manager and Registrars in exhibition scheduling and planning, ensuring appropriate technician teams (with the support of the Exhibitions Manager) with responsibility for clear communication of project needs.
– Leading and managing a team of Art Technicians including supervising and training freelance technicians on a day-to-day and project basis.
– Implementing comprehensive condition report procedures, record keeping and database management.
– Overall responsibility for the maintenance of all building facilities, HVAC systems, security and fire, humidity control and all contractors and sub-contractors on site.
– Maintaining all gallery spaces, offices & art stores.
– Responsible for maintaining safe working practices and H&S. Project management and planning of complex installations including producing schedules, risk assessments, health and safety procedures, installation files, and coordinating with external art handling contractors where needed.
– Coordinating the daily movement of incoming/outgoing artworks within the gallery, loading and offloading artworks from trucks.
– Communicating to staff regarding conservation and installation where necessary.
Qualifications for the role
– Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, with a minimum of 5 years of related experience working within the arts community. Gallery or museum background preferred.
– Extensive experience of safely handling and packing artworks with vast knowledge of installing artworks.
– Ability to lift at least 25kg.
Skills and Abilities
– Proven ability and commitment to working collaboratively and managing others with excellent organizational, practical and problem-solving skills.
– Ability to work effectively under pressure, with challenging and often simultaneous deadlines.
– Strong leadership skills.
– Excellent written, oral, and visual communication proficiencies, including the ability to draft documentation.
– Knowledge of and interest in contemporary art.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (for PC), Google Docs, Photoshop.
– Ability to manually lift artworks of various weights (with necessary support and according to safety standards).
Full-Time/Regular position, including paid holiday.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head Technician and Facilities Manager” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to UK covid safety guidelines.