New York, NY
Administrative Assistant to Director
Gagosian is seeking a highly motivated, dedicated and positive candidate for the Administrative Assistant position. This individual will work with the Director and the Associate Artist Liaison in the department.
Candidate must be able to excel in a fast paced and high pressure environment. Must be able to make educated and thoughtful decisions, while anticipating the ongoing needs of the Director. As the Director travels extensively, sound communication skills and the ability to work effectively without supervision in remote contact with the Director are a must. This position demands handling high volume and complex tasks with speed, efficiency, and accountability. Practical experience and track record, as well as strong organizational skills and attention to detail are crucial to this role.
Duties include but are not limited to the following
– Manage Director’s sales, alongside Director’s office, including following up on invoices and preparing insurance appraisals.
– Create and manage guest lists for exhibitions/dinners, and support Director during openings.
– Organize Director’s schedule, plan and book travel, keep track of meetings and create expense reports.
– Provide general assistance, structure and organization for the Director’s ongoing schedule and workflow in all sectors of Director’s responsibilities, as well as liaising with gallery colleagues.
– Maintain order in Director’s office including sorting and filing of incoming electronic and hard copy mail.
– Manage Director’s inbox and draft correspondence where required.
– Under Director’s supervision, conduct extensive research and generate proposals for artists, gallery projects and clients.
– In coordination with Director’s office, respond to all artists’ needs, including communicating with external contacts, etc.
– Daily communication with artist studios.
– Maintain and track artworks (pricing, availability, sales, shipping, installation).
– Generate and maintain records of loans, consignments, donations, and studio invoices.
– Implement and oversee shipping and installation schedules for works.
– Coordinate studio visits for staff and collectors.
– Assist artists and studios with press requests and image and publication requests.
– Arrange travel for artists and respective studio personnel.
Qualifications for the role
– BA or MA in art history or related fields.
– Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a similar role in a contemporary art gallery, museum, or artist’s studio strongly preferred.
– A working knowledge of and passion for modern and contemporary art.
– A flexible schedule, with availability to work additional hours as needed.
– Proficient with PC’s, Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Word, as well as Adobe Photoshop and Google Suite and database.
– Understanding of basic art handling practices.
– Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
– Written and oral proficiency in at least one foreign language is preferable. International experience welcomed.
Full-Time/Regular/Non-Exempt/Salaried position with overtime.
Salary commensurate with experience, comprehensive benefits package including three weeks’ paid vacation and increased vacation with tenure.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Administrative Assistant to Director” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
Gagosian is committed to maintaining a diverse working environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.