New York, NY
Assistant to Director (Chelsea)
Gagosian is hiring a full-time Assistant to join its Chelsea-based team.
The ideal candidate will provide administrative and sales support, be able to prioritize tasks, manage heavy workloads in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment, and efficiently communicate with the Director. Applicant attributes include, but are not limited to, excellent judgment, outstanding organizational skills, and keen attention to detail. The position involves significant contact with clients, artists, studio representatives and curators; discretion, sophistication, and poise are essential. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
The position schedule is Monday–Friday, 10am–6pm, with additional hours for openings and events.
Duties include but not limited to
- Provide sales support, including drafting consignment agreements, processing invoices, and coordinating artwork shipments with various departments.
- Provide client liaison support and manage day-to-day relationships with their offices (execute and track consignment agreements, offers, invoices, and payments, and implement and oversee shipping and installation schedules for sold artworks).
- Provide general assistance, structure and organization for the Director’s ongoing schedule and workflow in all sectors of Director’s responsibilities, as well as liaising with gallery colleagues.
- Maintain order in Director’s office including sorting and filing of incoming electronic and hard copy mail.
- Manage guest lists for exhibitions/dinners, and support Director during openings.
-Provide administrative, logistical, and project management support, including expense reports and scheduling travel.
Qualifications for this role
- BA and/or MA in Art History or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience in a similar role, including internships, at a contemporary art gallery or auction house strongly preferred.
- A working knowledge of and passion for modern and contemporary art.
- An interest in sales.
- A flexible schedule, with availability to work additional hours as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, with a keen eye for detail.
- Highly organized and efficient, with the ability to manage a heavy workload.
- Competence to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, yet at the same time an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
- Proficient with PCs, Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Word, as well as Adobe Photoshop and Google Suite and database.
Salary commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Assistant to Director (Chelsea)” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health covid safety guidelines.