New York, NY
Assistant Shop Manager
The Assistant Shop Manager will support the retail business with sales reporting, training staff, and engaging customers through creative merchandising and implementing effective marketing strategies. The ideal candidate should have experience in luxury art-retail management, working in an art environment with proven knowledge of customer engagement, and a comprehensive understanding of sales analytics reporting. Qualified candidates should be experienced and passionate about brainstorming, planning and delivering creative campaigns, as well as tracking and improving yearly KPIs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Knowledge of ongoing and upcoming exhibitions within the organization as well as commercial awareness to effectively source relevant merchandise and editions
– Provide guidance on delivering professional, courteous and helpful service at all times while developing client relationships with collectors, VIPs, artists, and staff
– Maintain a high level of cleanliness and order in the Shop by ensuring all areas are clean, tidy, organized, and well stocked
- Develop on brand creative merchandising strategies, gift guides, coordinate shop events, conceptualize and organize art book fairs
– Interpret creative direction into visual merchandising strategies and ensure final visuals are held to brand standards
– Responsible for developing strategies to improve staff engagement and ensure procedures are understood and executed within set deadlines
– Provide coverage for sales floor whenever necessary
– Build content and manage social media platforms to promote the shop and increase customer engagement and outreach
– Review Shop invoices to ensure taxes, shipping, returns, credit card transactions, and fraudulent transactions are correct and consistently updated across all necessary systems
– Generate monthly sales consignor reports, handle reconciliations and adjustments and generate additional ad hoc reports as requested by department heads
– Create and manage incoming consignment agreements and outgoing returns
– Facilitate the daily movement of incoming and outgoing artworks within the Shop to the Gallery and third-party storage facilities and ensuring all database systems are updated in real time
– Perform bi-annual inventory audits, database updates, and secure paperwork
– Oversee the international and domestic shipping process including coordinate shipping, insurance, customs documents, release forms, condition reports, and packing
– Responsible for onboarding, training new staff, and overseeing scheduling
– Oversee all opening and closing procedures, manage all keys and access codes and register counts
– At least 2 years’ experience in luxury retail management and arts environment
– Proficient in Excel and strong reporting experience is a must
– General knowledge of retail sales tax, consignment models, invoicing, and handling of artworks is recommended
– Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and occasionally climb ladders
– Expert in Microsoft Office programs and Google Docs, Sheets, and Calendar
Skills and Abilities:
– Possess strong organizational, planning, problem-solving, and operational skills in a team-based, customer-service environment
– Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as determined by business volume; some late nights for special events, VIP visits and openings will be necessary
– Meticulous attention to detail, the ability to multitask, and a keen awareness of time-sensitivity
– Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
– Demonstrated ability to maintain good relations with vendors and internal departments
– Must be technologically savvy with the ability to learn new systems quickly
– Exceptional organizational and follow-up skills
– The ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with a high level of independence
– Must be available to work a holiday schedule
Salary commensurate with experience, comprehensive benefits package including two weeks' paid vacation which increases with tenure.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Assistant Shop Manager” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health covid safety guidelines.