New York, NY
Gagosian seeks an experienced full-time Editor to join its small yet dynamic Publications team, which collectively oversees the gallery’s prestigious and multifaceted publishing and digital projects. The role will primarily focus on bookmaking, working from start to finish on individual titles related to our artists and exhibitions.
The gallery has been publishing actively since 1985, producing a vast range of catalogues raisonnés, monographs, artist’s books, scholarly exhibition catalogues, and limited editions. Over that time we have published more than 550 titles, rivaling the output of traditional arts trade publishers. The primary goal of our Publications Department is to provide exceptional content that is informative and engaging on gallery artists and ensure that their artworks are reproduced as accurately as possible in all formats.
The Editor will plan, coordinate, review, and edit several books at any given time, including working closely with and coordinating between authors, designers, photographers, color specialists, copy editors, translators, etc. In addition to commissioning writers, editing texts, and checking content for accuracy and errors, there will be hands-on work required to oversee the design collaboration with our artist studios, and ensure the highest quality reproductions of artworks.
Duties include but are not limited to
- Overseeing all aspects of text, design, and image work for upwards of eight to ten titles at any given time, including monographs, exhibition catalogues, limited editions, and catalogues raisonnés
- Editing manuscripts for content and house style, as well as fact-checking
- Reviewing and approving all phases of design and production, including photo research and caption preparation, design layouts, color correction, copy edits, proofreading, and printers’ production specifications and dummies
- Hiring and overseeing the work of freelancers, translators, color correctors, etc.
- Coordinating meetings with artists’ studios and gallery directors
- Preparing promotional copy and press materials
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field
- At least three years of editorial production experience, preferably on art-focused titles
- Basic understanding of and experience with book printing, binding, and production
- Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style, which we use along with our in-house style guide
- Experience with licensing and copyright clearance for works of visual art and other materials
- Experience overseeing training and supervising support staff
- Proven project management experience, from deadlines to budget requirements, for multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-motivated team player with good critical-thinking and communication skills
- Excellent writing, copyediting, proofreading, and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and meticulous
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Creative suite, and Google Drive
- Ability to review work electronically using the track changes function in Word and mark-up tools in Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within the department, as well as liaise with other internal departments and galleries within Gagosian’s global network
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
Full-Time, Regular position
Salary commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editor” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health COVID safety guidelines.