New York, NY
Institutional Archivist / Librarian
Gagosian is seeking a full-time Institutional Archivist / Librarian to join the New York City office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
– Manage, update and add to the gallery’s digital and physical archives including: correspondence, exhibition material (checklists, exhibition maps, loan agreements), sales invoices, exhibition invitations, multimedia, and other ephemera.
– Maintain and catalog the gallery’s digital and physical archive.
– Research and oversee the digitization of the physical archive; work with DAMS team on ingest in DAMS.
– Design a records management policy.
– With other US librarians, maintain gallery’s ILS according to an in-house content standard; and update as needed.
– Maintain and oversee cataloging of all library books for circulation within the Chelsea galleries, and maintain shelves for redundant titles.
– With other US librarians, oversee collection development for the gallery’s library.
– Liaise with research and accounting department for all Library invoices.
– Oversee training and supervision of Library interns.
– Source books for clients and departments as reference materials.
– Complete citation requests for research team on occasion.
– Purchase and catalog new books for the gallery’s library.
– Write, edit and update exhibition histories and bibliographies for gallery artists.
– Masters in Library and Information Science.
– Knowledge of archival, digitization, and preservation methodology, techniques, and best practices.
– Ability to develop and maintain finding aids according to detailed knowledge of archival collections and industry standards.
– Project management skills; ability to establish and follow through on long and short term goals, being able to clearly communicate objectives and progress to stakeholders, budgeting.
– Experience with electronic records management systems.
– Experience with Digital Asset Management systems.
– Experience with ILS software or software as a service.
– Familiarity with art resources and databases.
– Must have strong knowledge of the gallery world and modern and contemporary art.
– Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
– Excellent communication and written skills.
– Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
– Must be able to work independently and exercise judgment as needed
– Able to complete work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
– Highly detail-oriented.
– Advanced Certificate in Archives
– 5+ years experience working in a similar field
– Experience with Eloquent SaaS
Benefits and perks
– Comprehensive benefits suite through Cigna, including a fully subsidized employee only level HSA plan
– MetLife pet insurance
– A 401(k) retirement savings plan with a company match
– Employee discount on Gagosian products and publications
– Pre-tax flexible spending, dependent care, and commuter benefits
Full-Time/Regular/Salaried position. Monday to Friday, onsite, with additional hours as needed.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Institutional Archivist / Librarian” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health covid safety guidelines