New York, NY
Shop Sales Associate
Gagosian Shop seeks a polished, energetic full-time Shop Sales Associate to join its team.
The Gagosian Shop offers a museum-quality shop experience, specializing in exclusive objects, publications, rare books and art editions. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, high-end and dynamic art/retail environment, requiring an individual that is self-motivated, a fast learner, with excellent communication skills, and loves to interact with the public. As part of the Shop team, the Shop Sales Associate must have a collaborative spirit and willingness to jump in where needed to support the day-to-day operations.
This sales position offers an opportunity to
– Develop client relationships with collectors, VIPs, artists and gallery staff
– Promote the books and art editions published by Gagosian and its represented artists
– Handle and sell a curated selection of rare art books
– Be creative with shop merchandising and visuals
– Help build content and connections in social media platforms to promote shop sales
Duties include but are not limited to
– Opening and closing the shop and register
– Answering calls and responding to general shop email inquiries
– Coordinating framing and shipping of shop items and editions
– Ordering and maintaining inventory, and shop supplies; conducting inventory counts as needed
– Checking main shop email account and voicemail
– Handling all aspects of daily sales; cash, credit card transactions, invoicing and balancing the POS till
– Maintaining shop floor by ensuring all areas are clean, tidy, presentable, and organized, maintain Shop merchandise, help with replenishment, receiving, ticketing and visual displays
– Assist in creating Social Media schedule posts, creating copy, and gathering image permissions
– Supporting the Assistant Shop Manager with creative merchandising strategies including events and art book fairs
– Working collaboratively with the Assistant Shop Manager and Shop team on promotions and campaigns to boost visibility, and promote key items
– Coordinating international and domestic shipping processes as well as messenger services and pertinent details including shipping, insurance, customs documents, release forms, condition reports, and packing
– Assist with acquiring and ordering works and merchandise for the Shop
– Some art handling and hanging of framed works, patching and retouching walls as needed
– A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
– A minimum of 1 year of retail experience required; a background in the arts is preferred
– Demonstrated knowledge of Gagosian galleries, contemporary art, art history, photography, architecture, design, film, travel, fashion, and culture
– Must be comfortable working with the public, handling PPE and enforcing gallery and NYS health protocols
– Some Art Handling experience preferred
– Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and occasionally climb ladders
– Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as determined by business volume; some late nights for special events, VIP visits and openings will be necessary.
– Must be available to work a holiday schedule
Salary commensurate with experience, comprehensive benefits package including two weeks' paid vacation which increases with tenure.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Shop Sales Associate” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Gagosian is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health covid safety guidelines.